The ordinary and simultaneous extraordinary meetings of the Conferences of the Parties to the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions are open to participation by observers in accordance with the relevant Rules of Procedure.
National or international, governmental or non-governmental bodies or agencies wishing to be represented by observers in one or more of the upcoming meetings should proceed as follows:
- Bodies or agencies that have already been admitted to attend, as observers, past meetings of the Conferences of the Parties to the Basel and/or Rotterdam and/or Stockholm Conventions, need to fill in the registration form and submit it to Ms. Stéphanie Cadet, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bodies or agencies that have not previously attended a meeting of the Conferences of the Parties or of subsidiary bodies may apply for observer status in one or more of the meetings. To apply for observer status, bodies and agencies need to fill in one or more of the application forms and provide supporting documents to demonstrate that they meet the following criteria:
- Independent legal personality as duly registered/incorporated under the laws of a specific country/State (e.g. Articles of Association, Certificate of Incorporation, etc.); and
- Qualification in:
- fields relating to the transboundary movement of hazardous wastes as well as their management and disposal;
- matters covered by the Rotterdam Convention;
- matters covered by the Stockholm Convention.
Application forms for requesting admission as an observer to one or more of the meetings of the Conferences of the Parties to the Basel, Rotterdam and/or Stockholm Conventions should be sent to Ms. Yvonne Ewang-Sanvincenti, email@example.com no later than 15 April 2013.
Upon confirmation by the Secretariat that the requesting body or agency appears to meet these criteria, the observer will need to fill-in and submit the completed registration form to Ms. Stéphanie Cadet, firstname.lastname@example.org. In accordance with the relevant Rules of Procedure, such bodies or agencies may be represented at a meeting as an observer unless at least one third of the Parties present at the meeting object.
This procedure does not apply to observers from the United Nations and its specialized agencies; the International Atomic Energy Agency; any State and any political and/or economic integration organization not party to the relevant Convention(s); as well as the Global Environment Facility (in relation to the Stockholm Convention only). Such observers may, on invitation of the President, participate without the right to vote in the proceedings of any meeting, unless at least one third of the Parties present at the meeting object.